Preventum Initiative Newsletter
Dear FEND Friend,
Thank you for all your support these 6 months since the official FEND launch! FEND gained substantial momentum when it rolled out with the Vans Warped Tour this summer. More than 32,000 young people signed up as supporters and 15,000 downloaded the app to learn about opioids and addiction. Of those who participated:
• 91% of users can now identify the signs of an opioid overdose.
• 99% of users now know that prescription painkillers (opioids) are as addictive as heroin.
• 96% of users can now identify the steps to take in response to an opioid overdose.
• 78% of users now know that mixing alcohol with prescription painkillers (opioids) can be deadly.
• 84% of users say they’re very likely to talk with a friend/family member who may be misusing prescription medication.
• 98% of users know you can become addicted to opioids prescribed by a doctor in as few as 4-5 days.
Our work has just begun! We look forward to sharing updates on the Preventum Initiative and FEND on the state and national level, as we continue to arm youth with the knowledge to take a stand against the opioid epidemic in their communities.
Thank you for your continued support,
Executive Director, Preventum Initiative